Comfort in pregnancy can be hard to come by. Comfort in the summer while pregnant is even more of a challenge. This summer, don’t let that summer heat get you beat. Below you find several tips and tricks to stay cool (& hydrated) during some of the hottest months of the year.
- Getting fresh air can be vital to your mental and emotional health when pregnant. But does the thought of that make you want to wilt? Try this. Do the outdoor tasks (such as walking or exercise) in the morning or early evening when the sun in lower and the temperatures aren’t as scorching.
- Your clothing can contribute to the heat your body feels. Try wearing light-colored clothes that are light and breathable. This alone can make a huge difference.
- Remember to stay hydrated. Sports drinks with electrolytes can help replace lost salt and retain fluid. Be mindful of sugar content though!
- A spray bottle of water can help refresh your face and neck.
- Quick showers throughout the day can drop your body temperature and help you to stay cool.
- Take frequent naps, if you’re able. This is the time in life where sleep really is benefiting you and another little human you are nourishing.
- Ask for help if you’re too tired to cook or run errands!
- Put feet up. This helps to alleviate swelling and also forces you to relax a bit.
Being pregnant in the summer (or delivering your baby) means that you and baby are able to get outside a bit, which could be helpful in the postpartum healing process. Stay cool, mamas!