Let’s discuss some amazing placenta facts about this mysterious, yet mighty organ.
1. The placenta is the only transient organ. This organ comes and goes after its purpose
has been fulfilled. It brings oxygen, blood and nutrients to the growing fetus inside the
mother’s body. Once the baby has been born, so too will the placenta expel itself.
2. The placenta is one organ yet acts as three. WHAT?! Well, this umbrella-shaped organ
acts as baby’s lungs by carrying oxygen from the mother. It acts as the kidney by filtering
out waste product. It also acts as baby’s immune and gastrointestinal system by
delivering nutrients and antibodies. The placenta allows the fetus to grow a healthy size
before it is born.
3. Mother’s immunity is transferred to the fetus through the placenta. This immunity can
last for six months after baby has been born.
4. In some cultures, the placenta has spiritual significance. In Hawaii, the placenta is
considered part of the baby itself. In Nepal, it is considered a friend to the baby. And in
Malaysia, it is considered an elder sibling.
5. Scientists are able to study the placenta to learn more about cancer. Because pregnancy
progresses in a similar way to a tumor, the placenta is an excellent source for analyzing.
Unlike an organ transplant, the placenta is able to develop in the body without being
attacked by the immune system. By studying this unique organ, researchers can learn
more about how tumors have the ability to grow without intervention from the immune